Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Breakfast for dinner

One of my favorite quick and cheap dinners is breakfast. The kids love to find out we're having pancakes and bacon or waffles for dinner. And really, sometimes it's just nice to have pancakes whenever you feel like it!

The kids went to Grammy and Pa-pa's for a bit tonight, so Christopher and I had breakfast for dinner. Instead of pancakes, though, we had western skillet omelet. Neither of my children will touch eggs, so I save this one for when they're gone!

Western Skillet Omelet

1/2 bag frozen hasbrowns (cube style)
1 t. seasoning salt
1 T. olive oil
1 green pepper diced
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1 green onion, sliced
4 eggs

1. Heat oil in skillet over med. heat. Add half a bag of hashbrowns and seasoning salt. Cook 10 minutes and add peppers, onion and half a can of diced tomatoes (freeze the other half for next time). Cook until hashbrowns are tender. Reduce heat to low. Make four wells in the hashbrowns. Crack one egg into each well. Cover and cook until yolks are set (about 15 minutes).

This is such an easy recipe and one of my favorites- I have leftovers in the fridge for morning! The original recipe calls for fresh tomatoes, but I find that canned diced tomatoes give it a lot more zing and it's so much easier than cutting tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment