Thursday, July 29, 2010

Corn Fritters

Last summer when we vacationed in Gatlinburg, TN, we had a fantastic dinner at The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge. The food there was nothing short of fantastic! It was served family-style, and along with an enormous main entree, you got salad, soup, mashed potatoes, green beans, desert, and the best of all... corn fritters. They were like little fried balls of heaven and they were just fantastic! A while back, I went to their site looking to buy the mix and found something even better... the recipe! This allowed me to tweak it to fit our needs and to be dairy-free.

I made these tonight and they were just as fabulously delicious as I remember! Granted, they weren't as pretty, but they were absolutely delish! Preston came into the kitchen as I was cooking them because he thought he smelled waffles. When he saw them, his face lit up. It took him only seconds to realize that these were a cross between his two favorite foods- doughnuts and corn bread! He loved them until we sat down to dinner and he realized that there was actual corn in them... Darn! He and I did eat several before dinner even began. They are that good! I remember they were still super yummy the next day last summer, so I plan to enjoy them again for lunch tomorrow. Mmmmmmmmm!

Corn Fritters!
1/2 cup bread flour
1/2 cup self-rising flour
2 tbs rice milk
1 tbs melted dairy-free margarine
1/4 cup frozen cream style corn
2 tbs sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking powder


Mix all ingredients and drop into hot grease by spoonful. Fry to a golden brown.

Now, copying this recipe directly from their site, I realized that I wrote it down wrong and instead of a 1/4 c. of creamed corn, I used a whole can! No wonder it was runny batter! They still turned out deliciously!

No comments:

Post a Comment