Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Refrigerator Pickles

These are a summer staple. I love cucumbers and all different ways to fix them. This is my Granny's recipe that I grew up with. Back when I was pregnant with Preston, I craved anything with vinegar- mustard, pickles, and well, vinegar. Being summer, there was an abundance of cukes at Granny and Pa's, so they shipped me home with a ton of them. I was in full-on nesting at that time and felt an overwhelming urge to stock our freezer and pantry. So I had this wild idea to can pickles. I had never canned before, and had no canning supplies. I made them up (a whole gob of them), and canned them in a large cooking pot. They looked good, and they all sealed, but I was way too terrified to ever eat any of them. They sat until we moved 4 years later before I dumped them. Food poisoning scared me to death- and that was before I got salmonella! Anyway...

Refrigerator pickles

Cucumbers sliced thinly
salt
1 c. sugar
1 c. water
1/2 c. vinegar

Boil together sugar, water and vinegar until sugar dissolves. Set aside until cool.

Slice cucumbers and put into a large bowl of water with a generous amount of salt (I just dump until I think it's enough) and let sit for 1 hour. Drain and pour the "brine" over the cukes. Refrigerate a few hours before eating, but they're best if they wait overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment