Sunday, October 18, 2009

Vegetable beef soup

I apologize in advance for no photo to accompany this recipe. We ate the soup too fast, and well, I was just too lazy to grab the camera and take one- that, and it was in the car. It was a cold fall day, and veggie soup with cornbread muffins sounded absolutely delicious, and it was! The kids weren't too wild about it, but they're never too wild about veggies. That is, unless it's Preston going nuts over frozen corn and peas, hard as a rock as they may be!

Vegetable beef soup

Shredded cooked roast beef*
Equal amounts of beef broth and water*
8 oz. can tomato paste
bag of frozen mixed veggies
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large pot, cook on medium for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

* When I cook a roast, I always cook it in the crock pot with water, which yields a lot of broth. I store the broth in quart jars in the deep freeze for later. I also shred the roast and freeze it separately. I rarely buy store-bought broth as some of it contains milk. This also saves money by not throwing it away and having to buy more! Note that I don't have an exact quantity of broth/water. Sometimes it's a full quart, sometimes it's less, but as long as it's close to a quart, and in equal parts, it should turn out fine.

* My grandma, who gave me this recipe, says that she has substituted ground beef for the roast if she didn't have any roast on hand, with equally good results. I'm not a big ground meat fan, so I stick with roast.

As for the corn muffins, I used the recipe on the back of the Aunt Jemima corn meal can, substituting rice milk for milk. I also add a little honey in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment