Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mashed potatoes

One of my all-time favorite foods is mashed potatoes with white gravy. White gravy isn't something I get to eat very often unless we're dining sans kids, but I still love mashed potatoes. Making them dairy-free is a little different. I don't use rice milk- it just doesn't come out tasting right. Instead, I use chicken broth. And I'm not talking out-of-a-box instant potatoes, here. It's only the real deal here! Think making homemade mashed potatoes is too time consuming for a busy mom? Try making a double batch on a weekend and freezing half for later. They freeze beautifully and come out tasting just like a fresh batch!

Mashed Potatoes

4-5 medium potatoes
1/2 stick dairy-free margarine
chicken broth*
salt/pepper

Wash potatoes, peel, and cut into 1" chunks. Boil until tender. In a mixing bowl, add margarine, potatoes, salt and pepper. Mix together with mixer. Slowly add chicken broth until potatoes are the thickness or consistency you desire.

*Read the labels carefully on canned broth- some contain milk. You can, of course, make your own, but I stick with canned. I do freeze broth after I cook a whole chicken in the crock pot for chicken and noodles. MUCH better than store-bought! Note that I don't specify a measurement for the broth. I just eyeball it. At most, you'll use 1/4 cup. Don't dump the leftover, though! Freeze it in 1/3 to 1/4 cup portions and the next time you make potatoes, you can just grab a bowl from the freezer to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment