Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ham and Beans

Just take a look at that plate full of delicious goodness that I just had for lunch. Albeit leftover, it was just as tasty as it was last night. Ham and beans rank right up behind fried chicken and mashed potatoes with milk gravy (sorry, but milk gravy is my weakness...). When the mood for beans strikes, this is my go-to. It took a bit of trial and error to find the absolute perfect version of this, but it at last has been perfected.

This meal is a meal that takes more than one day to prepare. First, you have to slow cook a ham. I like the shank portion for the fat that makes the drippings. Without it, this recipe will not be the same. I stick mine in the crock pot if it will fit, or in the oven in a covered roasting pan. Have the ham as a meal that night and cut the leftovers into good sized chunks as they will cook apart later on. If you're not going to fix ham and beans right away, freeze the meat. Take the drippings and pour them into a large bowl or some empty glass jars and either freeze or refrigerate.

The day before you make this, soak the beans overnight in cold water. I use Great Northern beans. The next morning, drain the beans and put them in an empty crock pot. Thaw the drippings and add them. If more water is needed, add some. Salt generously. Cook on low 8 hours. About halfway through, add the ham.

This is best enjoyed slathered in mustard (in my opinion) with fried potatoes, corn bread and cinnamon apples.

I know I"ve been a bit quiet lately. I'm in a cooking rut and find myself preparing the same things over and over again. But I do have some fun Christmas goodies to share that will make you very happy!

1 comment: